Last year I planted loads of jalapeno and banana pepper plants. That was a gardening mistake I would not make again! I had hot and spicy peppers coming out my ears. So this year I just planted one of each. Seemed reasonable to me. So why do I still have peppers coming out my ears?! It’s humorous at this point!
I took my piles of peppers and made pepper jam for the first time yesterday. I was skeptical that I would have any purpose for it or that I would even like it. However, you know by now I make every attempt to prevent waste.
I got to searching and found this recipe from My Kitchen Addiction.
Sweet and Spicy Pepper Jam
- 4 cups peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 box powdered pectin (1.75 ounce)
- 5 cups sugar
- Heat peppers, vinegar, and pectin to a boil.
- Add all the sugar and bring to a boil again. Boil for 1 minute.
- Pour into sanitized jars and seal with lids and rims.
- Process in boiling water canner for 15 minutes.
*You can use any combination of peppers you would like. I used mostly jalapeno and banana peppers with a few bell peppers. I left the seeds of one jalapeno, to give it a bit of heat.
My only regret is that I added green food coloring to the jam. I don’t know what I was thinking!!! Now it looks psychedelic. However, it tastes shockingly delicious. I enjoyed it right away on the only cracker like item I had…a rice cake. A little bit of cream cheese and the jam turns out to be a great snack.
Add crackers to the grocery list, this is going to be a spicy treat to heat up the winter!Pin It